Harter
Participant
  • Gold
  • ★★★
  • Comments: 807
  • Overall: 883

SST etc yep there is no way I’d slip a 120 in a 270 unless the pink mist of an under 200 yd coyote was on the table . They’re great in the 6.8 down in the 22-2400 mv range . They kill hogs quite well .

I had the exact pencil through experience with a 243 and the 100 SGK at what should have been about 2900 MV load on a 80 yd mulie . I would use them maybe for a WM or the like but not anymore in standards .
Yeah it was exactly like it didn’t have enough dwell time to open up which is completely counter intuitive to bullet function .

Dad always liked the Partition 115 in the 25-06′ at 3100 MV . They always exited the mulies ……except that one that took the shoulder hit , holy hamburger with bone meal . A proper boiler room hit and I’ve seen a warm heart full of blood jello and a 28-30 cal exit …..

For what ever reason I just can’t get excited about the X clan including the Hornady GMX . It might be the $1 each price tag or the real world lost petal reports or that state that mandated them then burned down all of the forest lands .

I’m partial to the Hornady Interlok line at least for the 06′ and 308 although the preferred bullet was dropped from production several years ago . With the 2 cartridges , in my rifles , being a dead heat it was a no brainer since they both shot under an inch and did good work at 50, 150 , and 300 yd . 30 in baseball cavities and a half dollar hole in the skin . They do almost identical damage from a nominal 7×57 hot and mild 280 loads . I don’t think they would be good idea for a <200 yd 7mm RM .

With every cast bullet I shoot I like them better even in little high speed rocket cartridges . Construction isn’t the right word but alloy and treatment combined with nose shape gets us everything you could want from 6.5 or 7mm up in standard cartridges and in practice probably 30 and up mags . I don’t see any contest at all in pistols . Even Barns has trouble with double dia expansion and I’ve hit a place where I can do it with 45 Colts and ACP 100% ……ok fine they 45-200s and only .750-775 from .452 but the 200 gr 30 cal went .610 and the ad guys won’t be bothered by .006 any more than me .

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.