Larry Gibson
Participant
  • Gold
  • ★★★
  • Comments: 507
  • Overall: 562
  • Gold

I have not tried any 147/150 fmj’s HP’d.  I have however shot a couple thousand of the SKS/AK 123 gr bullets that were HPs.  They had been pulled from combloc 7.62×39 ammo.  I had several thousand I acquired in a trade some years back.  I load them in LC 7.62 cases over data 2200 powder to just over 2800 fps for use in my FR8 reconfigured into a scout rifle.  I have not shot any coyotes with them yet but have shot numerous rock chucks and ‘bits.  I found a bit difference between the steel jacketed and copper jacketed bullets.  The steel jacketed HPs killed better than similar fmj’s but not by much.  The copper jacketed did very well.  They weren’t quite as effective as Speer 130 HPs but the HP wasn’t as big as the Speer’s either. Obviously in those smaller critters I didn’t recover any bullets.

You might get about 18 t0 20″ of sopping wet newsprint and with an identical load shoot a 150 SP into it and then one of your HPs and compare the results; penetration, expansion and damage caused.  That will give a good idea of potential effectiveness on larger game.

Larry Gibson

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.