#48949
Glenn
Participant
  • Silver
  • ★★
  • Posts: 43
  • Comments: 223
  • Overall: 266

Other Calibers:

With the success of the 45Colt shot loads, I turned my attention to the 41mag, 44mag and 480 Ruger.  The easiest cases to use were the 414 and 445 Supermag brass, but longer cases could be made.  I pulled out Cartridges of the World and looked in the specs portion to get an idea of what would have similar rim body dimensions.

 

44mag:  For the 44mag I used some 303 Britt brass.  First I chucked a piece of brass in the hand drill and turned the rim down to .508” with a file.  The rim was a little too thick, so I turned it down with the file and drill also.  Next I had to turn the base down a little to .453” to fit into the cylinder.  After that I trimmed the case to length and ran it partway into a 38-40 sizer die.  The dimensions were not perfect, but they did work.

For Wads, I followed the steps above to cut my own out of milk jugs or thick card board.  Below is a short list of powders and charges.

Powder-Charge-#8 Shot-Notes
2400-12gns-.44oz-Reasonable pattern, but the faster powders worked much better.
Unique-7gns-.49oz-Good pattern
Red Dot-4gns-.51oz-Nice tight pattern

 

 

41mag:  My buddy Wayne is a 41mag fan, so I turned my attention to the 41 mag next.  The easiest case to use is the 414 Supermag case.  A 303 British case can be made to work, but the rim and base needed to be turned down.  Another option was 30-30 brass.  Just turn the rim down, cut to length and fire form to fit the cylinder.  The base of the 30-30 brass is abit too small, but it can work if you can’t find anything better.

I could not find a bottle necked set of dies that would work to form cases, so I ran the 414 case into a 303 British sizer die and it fit the chambers very well.

Again, wads needed to be cut for the 41 mag.  I got nice tight patterns with 2400, Unique and Red Dot, but all of the loads that I tried locked up the gun upon firing and would not let the cylinder rotate.

So maybe I need to try some lighter charges, or find another sizing die option.

 

480 Ruger:  With the addition of the 5shot 480 Ruger in the Ruger Bisley line of guns, I couldn’t help myself and picked one up to add to my Ruger collection.

Shotshell cases were formed from 45-70 brass.  First thing was to chuck a piece of brass in the drill and turn the rim down to fit a 480 shell holder.  The case was cut to fit the length of the cylinder, then ran partway into a 30-06 sizer die until it would drop into the cylinder.  Most of the loads tried would lockup the cylinder until I got to 11 gns of RedDot.  This gave a nice tight pattern and did not lock up the cylinder.  I could not find a die in my collection that would form a roll crimp over the case, so the overshot wads had to be glued into place.

 

Powder-Charge-#8 Shot-Notes
RedDot-11gns-.64oz-Tight pattern, easy cylinder rotation
RedDot-13gns- .63oz  -Tight pattern, easy cylinder rotation

 

Heavier shot, no 6, T, and 000 Buckshot:

The good patterns with no. 8 shot got me to wondering, what about using some heavier shot.  I had some no. 6 shot which gave reasonable patterns with the same powder charges.  I ordered some T lead shot, .220”, from Midway, to try as it seemed like it was the largest size that would allow 2 pellets to fit side by side and stack in the case.  With using 4 grains of Red Dot, I was able to get 10 pellets loaded into the case.  I also had some 000 Buckshot that I used in 2 ½” 410 Buckshot loads for the Judge.  I was able to get 3 of the 000 Buckshot loaded into each case.  I think that the over powder fiber wad wasn’t forming a good seal for the T and 000 Buck as the pellets barely penetrated one layer of cardboard.

To get the wad to seal better, I seated a plastic milk jug wad on top of the powder, then I cut a 1/8” hard card wad in half and seated it on top the plastic wad.  Next went 3 000 buckshot and a 1/8” hard card wad on top followed by a heavy roll crimp to hold everything in place.  This seemed to help and the loads would almost penetrate ½” of particle board.  I started bumping up the powder charge to 7 grains of Red Dot until the 000 buck would blast a big hole in the particle board, plus penetrate several inches of wet clay.  With 7 grains of Red Dot, I was able to get 9 of the T pellets in the case and still leave enough room for the 1/8” hard card wad.  Loaded this way, the T shot easily penetrated the ½” particle board and several inches of wet clay also.

 

Caliber-Load-Notes: 000 Buck
45 Colt-7gns RedDot-2” group at 10’
44 Mag-8gns RedDot-1 ½” group at 10’
41 Mag-7gns RedDot-2 ¾” group at 10’

 

 

Wrapping it up:

This was a very fun project to take on.  I’ve been thinking about it for a few years, but just never got around to it. The only downside to the project is that the shot loads would lead the barrels fairly quickly.  A bronze brush with a patch would scrub the leading out easily enough.

From 10-15 feet away, and armed with two 45 Colt single action Rugers, my Son and I could easily dust small pieces of broken clay pigeons that were scattered across the berm.  These loads should easily take out a snake or even a grouse if encountered within close range and can add a little fun and versatility to your favorite revolver.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.