This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Goodsteel 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
     Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 426
    • Overall: 610

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a14382207/russian-sniper-t-5000/

A new report warns that a new Russian sniper could change the shape of future battlefields.

Common Russian battle tactics, currently on display in Ukraine and elsewhere, uses three rows of snipers in battle. Although the first two rows present a challenge for even the best marksmen, it’s the back row—which can be around 2,000 yards away from a target—where Russia places its most elite. Now a U.S. Army report says that this last row of warriors have become even more deadly, thanks to a new weapon—the T-5000 Tochnost rifle.

The report, called the “Russian New Generation Warfare Handbook,” warns that Russian snipers are “far more advanced than the precision shooters U.S. formations have encountered over the last 15 years” and can’t be thwarted by usual anti-sniper tactics of locating and pinning down the sniper. To be put simply, the Army is being outgunned.

Before the T-5000, Russia used the Dragunov, a good quality rifle but with poor optics. Where the American McMillian TAC-338 could hit a target at 1,700 yards, the Dragunov maxed out at just 800 yards.

The T-5000 doesn’t share those limitations. Using the .388 Lapua Magnum ammo, replacing the Dragunov’s old ammo that’s been around since Imperial Russia, the rifle delivers 5,000 foot-pounds of energy. A familiar round used by the Army, it delivers twice the amount of energy as the rifle that came before it.

ORuzejnyje SIStemy (ORSIS), the Moscow-based designers of the rifle, started production in 2011. The company benefits from expertise from Russia’s hardcore National Federation of High-Precision Shooting and has shown uses the most advanced technology available in the world. ORSIS claims to have unique tools and equipment, including machine tools which can carve metal into very precise shapes, digitally-controlled ovens, a cryogenic chamber, and “the onlycutter-grinding machine in Russia with a video measuring system.”

The T-5000 is made with metals from Germany, Austria, and the U.S., and The Firearm Blog, which isn’t always polite about Russian-made guns, applauds the rifle’s build quality.

Better materials, better ammo, and better optics means a sniper that’s vastly more accurate and can put a bullet inside a one-inch circle firing from 200 yards. This “0.5 minutes of arc” means the T-5000 remains deadly accurate at 2,000 yards, which is likely why it’s also becoming a favorite at international shooting competitions.

Marco Vorobiev, former member of an Soviet Spetsnaz special forces unit, now a firearms and tactics instructor and author, describes the T-5000 as a gun “that can compete with any custom-built bolt action precision rifle out there…It is well designed and built in small batches. More of a custom rifle than mass produced.”

And those small numbers have appeared in conflict zones around the world, including Iraq and Ukraine. It’s now being bought up by Russian regular army and the Federal Security Service (the old KGB), the Federal Protective Service (like the U.S. Secret Service), and the National Guard. Deliveries were originally due in 2020 but have been brought forward, with some units receiving their rifles this year.

n an era of 122mm rocket launchers and drone strikes, being pinned down by a sniper may not seem like a big deal. But on the battlefield, it can mean a unit being annihilated by a rocket strike within minutes. As described in the “Russian New Generation Warfare Handbook,” teams of snipers pinned down opposing forces, and when immobilized, were then attacked from multiple rocket launchers.

For now, the solution is simple—run. The report advises breaking contact immediately when a unit is engaged by a modern Russian sniper. Any hesitation will mean more casualties, either from sniper fire or from artillery. This disadvantage of this tactic is that “any enemy marksman in an established position will create a minimum of two casualties per engagement with little to no repercussions.”

The report also says the Army needs improved tactics to handle the new threat. These new ideas could include smoke grenades, issuing troops with special weapons, or relying on portable tactical drones like the Switchblade to find and attack snipers.

But the T-5000 is really only beginning, even more powerful snipers are currently in the works. Lobaev Arms, claimed a world record with a Sumrak (Twilight) rifle, hitting a target from 3,720 yards away in 2015. Last month, the company topped this with a 4,600 yard shot. Although requiring detailed knowledge of the exact winds as well as a correction for the rotation of the Earth, these snipers will redefine the idea of “a safe distance” and become new masters of the battlefield.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 788
    • Overall: 871

neat article. very interesting

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 459
    • Overall: 503
    • Gold

It’s simply the Russian catch up version of long range sniper rifles (50 cals primarily) we’ve been using since the early ’90s.

Our enemies were bound to start using what we’ve proven on the battlefield……they always do.

Larry Gibson

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 278
    • Overall: 279

Wife & I went to 12 Strong  this week.  Pretty good , not nearly as irritating as Blackhawk Down (to me).  Still has some hollywood in it but generally good.  Shows that tactic extremely well – and the results.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 459
    • Overall: 503
    • Gold

I went and saw it also.  As a Special Forces NCO (Weapons, Intell/Operations and as a Team Sergeant with 22 years on A Teams let me say this about a movie with SEAL advisors about a Special Forces A Team……..it was a good shootem up film……..

Otherwise it was about 12 SEALs impersonating an A Team…..and not very well at that.  The SF team members all acted like SEALs.  Their operational BS also was like SEALs.  It wouldn’t be the Warrant Officer going to the BN Commander to keep the Captain on the Team.  It would be the Team Sergeant going to the Bn Sergeants Major who would then tell the Bn Commander it would be a good idea if that Captain “accompanied” his troops.

All of the voting and asking for volunteers in the field is SEAL BS…on an SF A Team that is all decided in isolation.  How the Team breaks up is also decided, it’s SF  doctrine and known before deployment.  They didn’t show any part of isolation (That’s where the mission planning and preparation occurs and it wasn’t in the movie because SEALs sorely lack in planning if they do any at all).  It’s the Team Sergeant that makes those decisions because he runs the Team, not the Captain and not the Warrant (they get all the credit and glory but that’s ok, Team Sergeants and the other NCOs understand that)…..can anyone who saw the movie tell me who the Team Sergeant was?  If you can you’ve more SF experience than I……I could only guess.

Also that frat boy BS wouldn’t happen because SF are professional soldiers and conduct themselves as such.  The Team Sergeant (the guy who really runs the team) would throw the grab assers off the team because an A Team is no place for immature imbeciles.  It’s not the group commander that deploys teams in theater (assuming the bald colonel was the Group Commander) it is the Bn Commander who didn’t really say anything like a battalion Commander would.  On 9/11 in what I suppose was the BN HQ he sounded like a Marine or SEAL lieutenant.  I could go on and on but enough…….

None the less it is a good shootem up and the good guys kick ass and win for a change……..well worth seeing.

Larry Gibson

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2393
    • Overall: 2591

OK, so they are outgunning the US McMillan 338 Lapua Magnum long range rifle, by upgrading from a souped up AK-47 to this T-5000 rifle. A fancy bolt action rifle shooting……..the same goddam cartridge we’ve been using for years? I don’t see that as outgunning us. That’s just pulling your head out of your rear end and trying to get up to the same level as the USA. And I might remind you that we’ve been shooting this type of system and training our sniper teams with these types of rifles for a loooong time.

Other countries may copy us, and even make some lucky long range hits, but make no mistake, worldover, precision begins and ends in the USA.

American shooters are born and raised in a country where marksmanship is encouraged from a young age, and our snipers are the most naturally talented shooters in the world using the finest equipment in the world and the most deadly tactics. I could outbuild that fancy Russian POS rifle with half my brain tied behind my back and so could our Army gunsmiths. 1/2MOA at 200 yards? That’s real cute. I’m sure to a Russian that’s really damned impressive especially when he’s already had his morning bottle of vodka. I believe I’d like to see the ten shot group to go with that boast.

This article was written by a commie.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 426
    • Overall: 610

Tim, I had put a follow up to this thread but it seems to have disappeared – you can search youtube  for the T-5000 Tochnost to see mfg and use.  It’s not so much that this is a knock off of similar rifle systems, it’s change in technology and doctrine for the Russian military, moving to really long range shooting.  And lots of times the Russian’s chamber in interesting new/old stuff but are not above using what’s proven to save in R&D costs.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2393
    • Overall: 2591

Yes, but the reason they are doing this is because the threat of war with the USA looms ever closer, and many of our allies have recently set new world records for sniper effectiveness on human targets in the arid middle east climate (which is very good for sending bullets through if nothing else) and they knew they were not going to fare any better than the Taliban with their current tactics and equipment. Counter sniper capability is a very very real necessity if you want to take on the US or any of our allies because shooting is what we do. It’s a fact of life that you cannot ignore a pissed off American who knows how to shoot. I doubt their cute new rifle is going to make that much difference for them in the real world (they only let their people grow up with shotguns) but the propaganda sure looks interesting.

I know more than my fair share of real professional snipers, and those guys are magicians with a rifle, they dam near have a degree in psychology, they’re sneaky as a bad case of the crabs, they know more about their enemy than their enemy knows about his goats, they get off on making hell seem like a safe place, and our government gives them the very best tools, tech, and training to help them be our enemy’s worst reoccurring nightmare.

Those ruskies are going to need a lot more than a fluted barrel and a fancy piece of fiberglass. It’s NOT a level playing field. The odds will always be unfairly in favor of the US soldier because they got there first, did that better, made her scream, made him cry, and wrote it all in a love letter stapled to a corps with a Kabar.

The earth does not supply materials capable of building a better long range rifle than US gunsmiths make for our troops, DNA does not exist that is superior to that in the US soldier’s genome, and technology will always be measured by how close it comes to that made in the USA.

Sorry for the pro-USA rant, but some of that article is absolute bunk.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us