This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  GhostHawk 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     JHSFun 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 73
    • Overall: 86

Well the time has come to tread new ground –I joined a new indoor range and they are starting a Bullseye league. Brand new building /electronic target return/ rubber mulch and new air filtration 25/50yd

It might be strange to some but I have not shot Bullseye before — need new skills as I get older

I have an S&W 41 for the rimfire portion

I have 2- 9mm cz/1911, — 1- 40-cz and a couple of 45-1911 and a 357 gp100 — but what to choose for centerfire

Do to life Troubles/ work sch family I have not shot two of the above.— member of a outdoor club 1 h away that’s (why I joined a indoor) I drive weekly withing 2 min drive of the outdoor club but its after dark – and it is hard to get to the targets when there is 1-2 feet of snow and wearing gloves.

What load to use?? Most rounds down the pipe cz40 and 45-1911

With the gp100 I loaded the 358091 with some Bullseye but I have yet to test (38special cases)

9mm load?? Using wsf — how low can I go and still keep it in the black– I have about 7lb of wsf and only a part can of bullseye left (124g jacket) I have read for the 9mm for accuracy I have to keep it supersonic.

45acp Load ??? How low can I go and still keep it in the black have lots of wst H&G 130 -200g  currently it has a 20 lb. spring and will function with a 200g/wst/4.4g — (change lb. spring ???) –have lots of wst

First match is on the 30 of this month so might be able to test loads a couple of times and no chance of using a chrony

Thanks for any Hints

gp100 and the 41 ?? (do not even have a speed loader for gp yet)

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2393
    • Overall: 2591

Precision is everything in Bullseye. I’ve not played the game myself, but I build the guns for it.

You have the right gun in rimfire (the 41 is above reproach) but for centerfire, the 1911 is your best bet IMHO, both because of the ease with which you can get it shooting precisely, and the fact that a bigger bore cuts the line more easily. We used huge X7 arrow shafting when shooting 5 spot indoor archery competition back in the day for the same reason. Bigger arrow touches more lines.

I don’t know what shape your 1911 is in, but I suggest you buy a Kart precision barrel (or similar), fit a tight bushing, install some excellent grips, do something about the trigger, and get some target sights on it. That will make you competitive, but if you show up with a stock Springfield GI, it’s going to be a humbling experience (which it probably will be anyway at first). If you want to scare the competition, you’ve got to have the basic equipment and skills.

Remember that the X ring is 1.75 inches at 50 yards (that’s about the size of a golf ball) and that is one small target to be tagging that far away with a common rimfire rifle, let alone a hand gun.

The 200 grain semi-wad-cutter is the bullet for this, as is best propelled by a medium charge of Bullseye powder. Plug and play. Good ammo is good ammo, but it means nothing if you don’t have the barrel, sights, grips, trigger, and slide to frame fit to send it straight.

If you’re unfamiliar with the finer points of 1911 smithing, feel free to ask in the gunsmithing section. I can give you step by step instructional answers to your questions.

Best of luck, and have fun! I’m envious of the time you have to pursue this sport!

LenH 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 32
    • Overall: 36

I wish I could shoot Bullseye indoors, but I can’t but outdoors it alright.

I shoot NRA sanctioned matches at a gun club east of Memphis TN, 1st & 3rd Saturdays probably starting in Feburary.

The Smith 41 used to be the gold standard for the rim fire matchs. I have used a Ruger MK 2 for years. I have been using a Benelli MP-90s for about 12 years. It shoots a whole lot better than I do.

I used an out of the box Para Ordnance P14 with iron sights for years and it shot fair but I was trying to learn the game. Now I have a 1911 that I sent to a Smith in South Carolina along with a check for about $1200 and it will shoot the 10 ring at 50 yards, it also has a RedDot on the slide. The spring has been swapped out to accommodate the weight of the Dot . I use the 1911 for center fire & the .45 matchs. I keep .45’s loaded by the 1000s. Some of the shooters I know use a 9mm or a .32 for the Center Fire match and I almost went with a .32 and decided just to use the .45 for both matches.

I always used the 200 SWC pushed with 3.9 of Bullseye. It worked great for years. Now I use a 160 grain Valiant SWC and push it with 4.5 grains of BE.  There is less felt recoil with the 160 vs the 200. But to each his own.

Shooting a 1911 at 50 yards off hand can be a very humbling experience starting out and still is to this day. The main thing is to have fun and not to be too hard on yourself starting out. Most of us compete with ourselves, by that I mean just try and get better with each match and enjoy the company of fellow shooters.

If you need help with anything, ask away.

Len H.

JHSFun 
    Participant
    • Bronze

My 1911 is a Para (gen1)

upgrades , Clark match barrel , tight barrel bushing, Springfield slide , match trigger, upgraded sights fixed

I used it for IPSC for years (fun) never very competive (me) and no time

looks like i need to find more Bullseye powder

Thanks

JHSFun 
    Participant
    • Bronze

I now remember Why I reduced My 45 ACP Shooting and started shooting more 40cal and rifle

Small Pistol Primers / Large P Primers  and Having to sort Brass by the size of the primer hole.

I pre prime my brass / do not like priming/loading at the same time on my new progressive

First bag was all Large mixed headstamp primed no problem (will use for warmup/practice)

2nd bag  was mixed small / large  1 time fired range brass I picked up (bang head)

When I loaded for My IPSC class way back when, 1500 rounds single stage on a RCBS RC

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 628
    • Overall: 760

I’m no bullseye shooter, but have been using Red Dot in lieu of Bullseye for decades. Found it to be cleaner, and worked just as well. It is a little bit fluffier, and takes up more space in those cartridges with a lot of volume such as .45 Colt /44 mag even .38 Spl for light target loads.

I recently bought an 8 lb jug of Tite Group, but have not yet loaded and fired any. Figured this will keep me in cowboy action shooting ammo for a while.

Who else uses something besides Bullseye for bullseye/target loads?

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 257
    • Overall: 259

I’m all Red Dot all the time. Shotgun, pistol, rifle.

Only the Yugo SKS gets 4895 to cycle the action.
    Everything else in the house burns Red Dot or it don’t shoot.

Darren McCann 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 14
    • Overall: 17

Good evening,

I happen to shoot at an almost identical indoor range. I shoot Pardini pistols for both rimfire and Centerfire. I used a Ruger Mark 2 45/22 and added some bits to make it better. Then a used Hammerli rimfire found it’s way into my shooting box. Then decided to get Pardini pistols. They aren’t cheap but you never question if it is you or the gun ever again. I found that with practice and 2 matches a week I had to get rimfire Ammo that was good but also affordable. Last year I used 2 cases of SK plus 22Lr. This year I have switched to CCI SV 22Lr and find it shoots almost as good and it is about $30.00/brick cheaper.

Another good way to get practice in is air pistols. I have a Styer 5 shot that you refill the cylinders from a scuba tank. The match H&N pellets I use cost less than a case(5000)of CCI SV and there is 25,000 pellets in a case. Plus, you can use the scrap/shot pellets in casting boolits for your pistols. By getting a high quality air pistol. I can shoot a full match in the comfort of my basement 10M range. I would, if you have 8-10 yards or meters avaliable at home, highly recommended air pistol for practice.

For Centerfire practice I have the Laserlyte set up on a 45ACP pistol and practice at 10M with it as well. I am amazed how much more effective it is over just dry fire practice. The Laserlyte I use is the rattle can and the laser fits on the rail of the pistol. Works like a charm.

Good luck, practice often, scores will get better the more you shoot……

Darren

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 257
    • Overall: 259

I have a beeman P17 air pistol in .177, does somewhere around 400 fps.

Just right for shooting across the living room. I have a 60$ Red Dot on a 35$ pistol, but hey it works.

My target is a 12 x 12 x 18 inch box. Inside is full of rubberized floor mat cut to fit. Pellets don’t go through both the box and 1 layer and I have 8 layers in there.

I stick a 2″ shoot and see sticker on it. On a good day yellow dots are all in a clump, touching at 15 feet. On bad days there is a little more scattering.

Love the trigger on that Beeman P17. Sweetest most consistent trigger I think I have ever owned.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us