This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  timspawn 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
     timspawn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 136
    • Overall: 165

I ordered myself a S&W model 69 44 mag with a 2.75″ barrel last week. I shot it for the first time yesterday evening. Lets just say full house 240 grain JHP 44 mag is painful. It actually tore some skin off of my thumb and I only shot five rounds. 44 spl was a dream and that is all this little girl will ever be feed most likely.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2394
    • Overall: 2592

Well, you have to figure that the 240gr HP are meant to be bear stoppers (assuming you were shooting factory ammo). If you were to load some 240 grain SWC, you can tame that down quite a bit, but with reduced loads, you’ll probably always get best low speed precision with the 44spl brass.

timspawn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Yes, factory American Eagle. I will be shooting reduced loads from here on out.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 628
    • Overall: 760

240 gr SWC over 6 gr Red Dot. Pleasant, and makes that powder go a long ways.

timspawn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I don’t have Red Dot, but do have Unique and W231. Going to work with those and see what I come up with.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

With 231 it might be a 1:1 for Red Dot. Check the books. With Unique, you’re going to burn about 40% more. One of the nice things about Red Dot — and most shotgun powders in general — is that they never dried up in the great component crisis of recent. And, they remain reasonably priced. I believe that the pressure developed by light target loads in handguns is close to that of shotgun target loads. Hence, they tend to burn efficiently and cleanly in both applications. Another thing to consider is that many of our senior clay shooters are moving on. In some cases, their widows just want that stuff gone. The back bumper of my Nissan Frontier has drag marks on it. I always say a word of thanks for carrying it on to a useful future as I drive away. Somewhere, an old gent is laughing at lugging that stuff off. BTW, I am thinking of changing my measure of shotgun wads to cubic feet, maybe even bushels. I hope my children laugh when they pull away in that BIG U-haul, and hope they don’t have to pass over any scales.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I just checked Hodgdon’s online reloading data. Surprisingly, they do not have any for a 240 gr bullet with WW 231 in .44 Special.

.44 mag data – Much more 231 powder than I expected.
    240 gr
    8.0  1,021  23,800 CUP
    11.0  1,272  37,800 CUP

From Alliant’s website
    .44 mag w/ 240 gr LSWC
    Bullseye  6  894
    Red Dot  6.5  905
    Green Dot  7  901
    Unique  7  899

timspawn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Thanks for the data. I have a butte load of 700x from a clay shooter that moved out of state.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I would be surprised if the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual did not have a load with 700x. It will go a long ways too.

timspawn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I have that manual I just haven’t checked it yet.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us