This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jr. 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
     Jr. 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 12
    • Overall: 14

I know that where most of you are at winter is in full swing, but here this winter has been very mild and it looks as though the fruit trees may get fooled.

With that said I have been trying to plan and build the garden for the season coming up in the next 2-3 months, been building a raised bed in what was supposed to be a green house (just waiting on the funds) and planning my plot in the regular garden area.

So my question to you all is what your setup is, what’s planted or going to be? Hopefully this will get some warmer thoughts going.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 485
    • Overall: 537

right now my plan is to spray Roundup everywhere, then try to get real grass to grow instead of my weeds.

I like tomatoes so much, but I cannot get them to do well. I am in south Georgia and the heat seems to burn out tomatoes, the Okra & eggplant like the heat, as well as Hot peppers, but I really want Tomatoes.

Does anyone know how to get really GOOD tomatoes in this south Georgia heat??

Jr. 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Just out of curiosity, are you a tobacco user? Because if so, the tomatoes are very sensitive to nicotine and have a tendency to wilt even if a small amount like the residue on your hands touches any part of the plant.

I live in Arizona and have pretty high temperatures in the summer. I have had good luck growing tomatoes just like my peppers except I glove up to handle the plants.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 420
    • Overall: 601

I’m planting seeds now but I’m in the Phoenix heat basin – I lost some plants to freeze (all one week of winter)

Planting Little Yellow Pear tomatoes, Basil, thyme, Pirella (Sesame), Lavender, Chard, Leeks, Onions,

Squash (Spagetti, Butterws), Marigolds to bug the bugs – Rosemary wintered OK, Have to replace the Asian Pear

Think the Citrus will recover

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 623
    • Overall: 755

I gave up on gardening after the deer eating 75% of what I grew. They probably ate 200+ pounds of squash and pumpkin as well as destroying my tomato plants. They did not eat many of the tomatoes themselves.

Jr. 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Dang Art sounds like you’ve got a nice spice garden going, i haven’t had much luck growing spices other than thyme and cilantro. My plan is mostly greens, kale, spinach, chard, and whatever the wife’s flavor of the season is. As well as the usual staples, squash (various types maybe 3 or 4), hot and bell peppers, chilis, tomatoes, beans, and ofcourse purple hulled peas.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 420
    • Overall: 601

Jr., most of it’s in pots – the soil is so poor down on my place even the rocks refuse to grow.

Jr. 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Lol I hate those kind of rocks… just bad genetics I think

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us