This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  JRR 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author
     JRR 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 75
    • Overall: 95

I found this at an estate sale.

From what I can discern, it still has the military barrel, turned down with a full length rib added.  In faint numbers on the barrel near the receiver 7.92 otherwise known as 8mm.   An 8mm dummy round fits and chambers.  I think it should be checked for 8mm/06.  I’ll drop an 8mm dummy into the chamber without the bolt and see if it falls in too far.  I don’t know if the trigger is a modern version or old.  No markings.  It works great.

JRR 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Another

JRR 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Another

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 386
    • Overall: 541

Nice Find – you could just do a casting of the chamber.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 122
    • Overall: 137

You might want to slug the bore.  Some of the sporting rifles were made with a .318″ barrel instead of .323″ .

Did you find just the barreled action, or the whole rifle?  Very nice find either way.

JRR 
    Participant
    • Bronze

It does have a stock and sling.  It’s definetly not a military stock.  Has a pachmeyer pad and a cheek rest on the left side.  The bore is .323″.  Inletting has two “L” shaped metal inserts that bare against the recoil lug.

Does anyone have an idea where the receiver was made.  See photo above.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

A picture of the front receiver ring might help.

JRR 
    Participant
    • Bronze

The top of the receiver on the front ring has been knurled.  A textured surface.  The only marks on the receiver are the ones in the photo above.  It looks like a human face with hat above an N.  The left side of the front ring.

Here it is again

JRR 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Here is the top of the front ring.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I’m not sure about the Face over the N, but the rest of it looks similar to the rifles that were made in the Arab countries by small shops that would take a rifle, Mauser, and duplicate it, then pass it along to the next shop…

They would crank out a complete rifle starting from scratch, then use that as a pattern for future work.  Some of the patterns would be passed along to the next shop… so the tolerances might slip going from one shop to the next, so parts would not necessarily be interchangeable from one shop to the next…

The safety looks like one of the ones you can get commercially, the MKII ??, from Brownells??

I’d be interested in seeing how it shoots.  A chamber cast might be in order to see how close the chamber is.  If it’s longer than spec, you could always seat a bullet out long to engage the rifling, then fireform to make brass to fit your chamber.

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents worth.

skeettx 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 196
    • Overall: 212

This should be helpful

http://www.shotguns.se/html/germany_1890-1945.html

See Item #17

Please try to find a date code

See Item #29

Mike

JRR 
    Participant
    • Bronze

It looks like the receiver matches up with #19 on the chart.  Very early 20th century.  It has a measured .323 barrel.  Probably different than original.

When was the changeover from .318 to .323?  Most likely the reason for the barrel swap?

I will test with some low pressure cast loads on Thurs or Fri.

Thanks for the link to the receiver I.D. markings.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2365
    • Overall: 2561
     Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Excellent article.  I’d like to buy a few if we could get them here legally.

The .318″ groove dimension was for the original 8×57 in the model 88 Comission rifle.  When they switched to the Mauser, they went to the .323″ barrel instead.  I’m not sure of the time frame.  I have read where they used to make sporting ammunition for the .318″ and the .323″ also.

Here’s a link to more accurate detail than I can remember.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.92%C3%9757mm_Mauser

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 273
    • Overall: 286

1905, was the change over from I (infantry) to IS (Infantry Spizter) bore (or J to JS in American English).  They (the German Military) moved to the .323″ diameter bullet, and JS, by the enlarging the rifle grooves but keeping the bore diameter (7.92mm) the same.  As Glenn said, lots of commercial sporters, were made with .318″ grooves between the wars.

The change to the spitzer bullet design sent the US back the the drawing board.  Changed the new 30 cal cartridge from 30’03 with a 220 grain bullet to the 30’06 with a 150-165 grain bullet.

JRR 
    Participant
    • Bronze

First five shots with low pressure .325″ cast rounds (215 gr. w 18 gr. 2400) went into a 6″ black @ 100 yds.   I will be installing a nice peep sight for my degraded eyes.

Markings on side of receiver match up to the below.  Large ring 98.

1891-1912
    Nitroproof for rifled barrels

Stahl Mantel Geschoss (Steel Jacked Bullet)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us