This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Goodsteel 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2385
    • Overall: 2582

I’m pretty excited. I’m going to participate in a lever action smallbore silhouette match in about a week. Here’s some pictures of my preparations!

Here’s my rifle:

S prefix four digit Marlin 39 octagon barrel. I made the rear sight from scratch, and set the trigger to a crisp 2 pounds.

30 yard ammo test:

This is the 100 yard group:

Here’s my target range with targets set at 40, 60, 77 and 100 yards

http://goodsteelforum.com/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/45013/ladwovgr0jr8iqta62cb1yw0es5zzv0b.jpg

JRR 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 76
    • Overall: 96

Hi Tim,

Try some SK Standard Plus ammo.  It is more accurate in all my 22s, handgun and rifle than all that you have pictured.

Good luck

ps

What is source and image description in photo insert?

Design Team – Josh and Sarah 
      Keymaster
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 13
      • Overall: 18

@jrr,

The source is asking for a link to an image. For example, if you already had an image on Photobucket, you could post the link instead of uploading the image directly using the icon next to the bar. It is just another way to post an image.

Image description is simply a text description of the image that you are posting.

JHSFun 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 73
    • Overall: 86

You have too much time on your hands

Nice work on the sight 🙂

It would take me more than a day to make that –if I had the tools

Goodsteel 
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Actually, it only took me a day to make that sight. Granted it was a full 10 hour day, but I did it.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

If there’s one thing I’ve learned in my limited experiace with competition, it’s that I do much better with a good wingman. Last week I called up my buddy Jase and told him he needs to come over with a bunch of ammo and his 39A so I can get us both competitive.

He showed up at noon and fed his rifle through the shop door like a branch into a wood chipper. I had that baby broken down to it’s pieces in a flash. I wound up a new trigger return spring, and whipped his hook and sear with my stones, then I milled him a new front sight, and we got to work on the bench. Once his come ups were set, we started shooting. Jase is a wonderful person and a truly competent shooter. We wore the paint off those silhouettes till 8;30 PM. Just couldn’t see any more to shoot. I burned 400 rounds myself.

The competition is on Saturday, and I feel very confident that I’m ready to demonstrate proficiency with this rifle, and Jase is probably going to hold his own as well.

I bought 1000 rounds of the ammo I’m shooting, and I intend to show up with only 200 left. I believe that trigger time trumps all.

I’ll take pictures and report.

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 278
    • Overall: 291

“I believe that trigger time trumps all.”

There truth in that statement!

Good hunting Tim.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 788
    • Overall: 871

Tim I’m confident that you and  Jase will do well. Just ignore the other fellows and just focus on placing that upcoming shot better than your last shot.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Thanks Sarge. Actually, I don’t get flustered by the other fellows. I’ve shot with people that do, but that’s not my particular issue. If anything, once I hear bullets flying I get in that zone pretty quick. What trips me up is overanalizing everything with a rifle I’m not comfortable with. If I can ring that first steel target, I can send the rest down there too, but if I miss that first shot, my confidence is blown and I start doing stupid stuff. That’s why I like a wing man. If he’s hitting it helps keep my mind on the game.

At least, that’s the way I used to be. I haven’t competed in years and I might have changed. We’ll see!!!!

The good news is, I’m feeling sharp and loose. Pretty sure I’ll bring what I’ve got to give to the targets.

I hope Alohawolf45 will be there. I enjoyed shooting with him last time, and he’ll appreciate this vintage rifle.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 456
    • Overall: 500
    • Gold

Hold hard and shoot straight.  A major part of competition is mental, just as Mike said.  You have to concentrate on concentrating.  Yeah I know you said that’s not your problem but hearing the shooting, the bullets impacting, the silhouettes falling the other chatter on the line WILL affect you…….especially if you don’t think it will.  It will adversely affect even the best of competitors if they let it.  My advise is;

Be prepared.  When you step to the line have your equipment ready and adjusted.  You want to concentrate on one thing only….hitting the target.  On the line is no place for setting initial sight settings or messing around with anything else.  You want to just get into position, adjust for natural point of aim, have your ammo ready and focus on your bank of targets.

Consistence of position; once in position with a natural point of aim STAY THERE.  Don’t move around.

Watch your own targets between shots or preferably the front of the barrel.  Keep focused on the front sight.

Call your shots.  If the hits/misses go to call great.  If a miss doesn’t go to call look for a change in conditions  or make sure your spotter is watching for changes.  The most likely change is the wind.

Remember when you make a sight change you are moving the center of the group…..not where the next bullet will strike.  For sight changes made off the impact Miss) of one shot I(if the call was good and called as a good shot)  I suggest the 1/2 rule; if the calculated change is 1 moa left for example only move 1/2 moa left.  Otherwise the odds are, if you make the full correction you will blow some out the left side.  This is especially important on the turkeys and rams at the longer ranges.

Wish I could be there to coach you.  Last bit of advice; it’s only you, the round in the chamber and the target that are important.  Previous shots are gone…..you can’t change them or make up for them.  Concentrate on each shot at a time…..don’t worry or even think of the score…..the score will take care of itself.

There is more but that’s enough for now.  Hold hard, shoot straight…aim small, hit small……the unfortunate part is the large amount of open space around those small targets……..

Larry Gibson

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Thanks Larry.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Hey Larry, I’ve got a burning question for you regarding ammo. It’s too late at this point as I’m committed to use the ammo I have this time, but rimfire is a bit of a crap chute because I have zero control over the QC and characteristics of it. When I was selecting my ammo, I chose the ammo that gave nice round predictable ten shot groups with no fliers in a ram sized group, over that which gave 90% in a small “half a ram sized” group with fliers that would definitely miss the ram completely at 100 yards. I’ve kind of bounced back and forth with that.

I’m still trying to find an ammo that shoots like the Aguila Pistol Match without the fliers, but there was not time in this case, and I stuck with that which was round and consistent.

So my question is, how do you select rimfire ammo? What characteristics are you looking for?

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

In all the hubbub that’s been going on, I completely forgot to update this thread on my match results.

It was a fantastic day and the weather was bonny. I was paired up with Alphawolf45 and another gent that was using his rifles. There were about a dozen shooters out that day.

I was the third relay in my team, and the first targets were the pigs at 60 yards. I came out strong and cleared the deck of all five targets and I was thinking it was like shooting fish in a barrel. However, on the next run I missed one or two of the pigs clean, which I thought was very odd considering these were 1/2 scale and I had been shooting 1/5th scale all week leading up to this. Hmmmm.

The next targets were the turkeys at 77 yards, and I missed all 10 on both relays.

Next were the rams at 100 yards and I knocked over half of them.

Finally, the chickens at 40 yards. I missed two of them.

That was pretty humbling considering all the preparation I had done. The good news is that one of my clients used a rifle that I had tuned to take first place, so the silver lining was nice.

When I got home, I was still shaking my head, confused over my terrible performance in the match. I decided to bench the rifle on sandbags and see what gives. The group I shot would have had trouble hitting an NFL football consistently at 100 yards, so I knew there was definitely something wrong.

I took the rifle to the bench, and pulled out the borescope. I could see the rifling clearly enough but it was strange looking especially in the throat so I decided to push a brush through. When the brush exited the muzzle there was a spray of silver confetti. Apparently my barrel was horribly leaded. I had only been pushing patches for the entire week leading up to the match. It never occurred to me that my barrel was leaded, and since I was only shooting off hand, I never caught it.

Once the rifle was reassembled, I went back to the bench and shot a 15 shot group that was about 2.5″ in diameter and very round (which is what I had been seeing before). What a bummer!!!!

The next match is in a couple weeks, and I’m going to try to go and redeem myself.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us