This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Butch Wax 7 months ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2385
    • Overall: 2582

Always looking for a good deal on lead!!!

JRR 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 76
    • Overall: 96

I am so over smelting dirty, greasy wheel weights.  I found a guy on the cast boolit forum named jetsfan who sells clean ingots of clip on ww for a really good price.  Excellent quality.  $75.00/65lbs delivered to my door.  That includes shipping.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2385
    • Overall: 2582

I get ingots from the local scrap yard for $.50 per pound when they are available.

I just scrapped a bunch of aluminum and was looking to trade, but some dude had cleaned them out a couple days previous. I could have made quite a haul otherwise.

They offered me COWW, but all the ones I found on top were zinc. I think there’s a lot of folks out there who realize they can go to the scrap yard and buy COWW, then smelt all the good lead out of it to be sold for a buck a pound on eBay, then take all the zinc crap right back to the scrap yard.

Nope, I’m afraid my days of digging through wheel weights are over. I’m just not quite desperate enough to pay a dollar a pound for uncertified wheel weight alloy.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 732
    • Overall: 790

As much shooting as you do I figured you’d have a single-duel off a Freightliner behind your backer board with a plate in it . Or maybe 2 ,one for the house blend and one for everything else . I will very soon . Well at least as a variation of the theme .

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 483
    • Overall: 535

I got many different ingots from various sources.

I think I need to smelt it all down into just one single alloy , then get it scanned.

Who here can recommend a good way to scan your alloy for its composition??

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 256
    • Overall: 258

I’ve bought from Jetsfan, nice stuff.

Eventually I discovered a young guy who is local to me who has all the contacts for wheel weights and lead scrap. He has been dropping them at my door for a dollar a pound, no shipping, no delivery.  We swap 5 gallon buckets,  I have been feeding him with smaller cat liter buckets. Clean, with lids. Price is good and you can’t beat delivery to your door.

So I am currently sitting on 150 lbs of COWW in nice muffin ingots. Plus some 75 lbs left of 50% COWW and 50% range scrap.  I’ve noticed that my casting has slowed considerable this last year so I should be good to go for some time.

LenH 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 32
    • Overall: 36

The Captain over on that other site has wheel weight ingots at a good price.

Len H.

Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 152
    • Overall: 171

I’ve just about quit casting all together due to the cost of GOOD alloy being so high and buying stuff filled with zink off the net. I no longer trust anyone I don’t know.  Local recycling outfits in my area will not sell to the public. Tire shops won’t talk to you.

So now I don’t cast for my 44 or my 45’s, I buy copper plated bullets instead. It’s cheaper than casting your own. I was given a bit of a ribbing by out host all in good fun, but figuring in your time even at min. wage, it’s cheaper to buy than cast.

Unless I want a particular exotic and old bullet for my .38Spl, of which I have many old moulds, I don’t cast anything anymore. I will, on occasion, buy small amounts of certified metal, but that’s rare now. But beyond that, no, I’ve given up on beating my brains out over locating a cheap source of metal to cast. In the end you get what you pay for.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us