This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  doc1876 5 months ago.

• Author
     doc1876 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 52
    • Overall: 62

Ok, I don’t have all of my”stuff” down at the cabin, but I am thinking maybe I going nuts.

I took out my Smith & Wesson 1911 the other day loaded with Factory jacketed hollow points.  It shot four inches low from poa.

I loaded it with my custom loads of 230 grain jacketed hollow point. It shot 3 inches low.

I have no Hardball with me to shoot, so I don’t have a base from the last time I shot, where I thought it was doing pretty good.

I contacted Smith and Wesson and they said that they are not happy with those types of results in for me to send it in.  I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions before I went that route?????

Thanks.

I should probably tell you that this is at 30 ft.

JHSFun 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 73
    • Overall: 86

Blame it on the Sunlight……….just kidding, sounds like you are a better shot than me.

do you have Gi sights or Target sights ?

try different loads a 10,20,30,40,50 etc and note/ see where it groups

Many years ago when I set up one of my 1911 for IPSC  I was happy with it when I could shoot the upper A zone at 10 ft and hit the steel popper at 50yds.

It did shoot low when I got it. a easy fix

Check or have it checked for proper lockup ( worn or wrong barrel link) will affect POA/ poi

a file to the top of the front sight will raise poi,   —> but do as a last resort. and cold blue

Shooting with the sun behind you or in front of you will make you shoot different

not a expert… just my opinion

doc1876 
    Participant
    • Bronze

thanks,  I am at home now, and am going to load up all of my other loads, and my Colt.  I will be going back on Tuesday, so I plan on burning up a bunch of powder to find out the issue with as much comparison data as I can assemble.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 491
    • Overall: 545

I am no expert, but it seems that different bullet weights, different velocities, would give different POI from fixed sights.

I have a 1917 revolver in 45acp/45auto rim and it is all over the place with different loads. it will shoot a group, but the POI could be wild with various loads

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 628
    • Overall: 760

Where was it shooting previously with the same ammo?

How long ago?

Did you do ANYTHING to the gun before this last round where it shot quite low?

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 257
    • Overall: 259

I guess I would not say 4 inches is very low.

I would say if I was going to shoot that ammo and just that ammo that I would be adjusting my hold slightly.

Group to me is the thing. If you can get them all in a coffee cup to me it matters not if that cup is over someones heart, their throat, or their solar plexus. They going to sit down with a woof.

But if you aim for the heart and a couple are off the target because the group is so big, that would be worrying to me. But what do I know. Pistol experten I am not.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2394
    • Overall: 2592

Congratulations on ownership of a very fine 1911. The S&W is definitely on my top five for the money list.

Now, I don’t mean to be insulting, but I want to ask: Have you ever spent some time with a diagnostic target? They are extremely telling…….frustratingly so.

The fact is, without constant practice, we all will develop bad habits that must be curtailed regularly. Shooting a 1911 with full house loads is an art as much as a science. I tell folks all the time, it’s like the difference between a car and a motorcycle: They both get you from A to B, but you drive a car while you ride a motorcycle.

doc1876 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Kens:  I was amazed that the heavier weight bullets printed higher

Charlie: The last time I shot it, I used hard ball, and no I did not do anything to the gun.  As I recall, the hardball hit dead on, but I want to shoot jhp only out of it, so….

Ghost: neither am I.  I want to be better than I am, but 35 years of shooting blanks has pretty much ruined me.

Tim:  that is on the agenda for today.  I have a selection of loads, and two guns for compassion, I shall see what I can do.

So…..I am probably going to send it back to S&W, but only after I do these testings with it.  I am interested in the findings, and I will keep you posted,

Thanks for the responses.

SJL

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2394
    • Overall: 2592

I wish you were closer Doc. I thought I might have an issue with my 10mm because it would print 4″ to the left consistently. Before I started getting too carried away though, I hollered at CAdude (who is an extremely proficient pistolman) and he came over and shot my 10mm one day. It printed just fine for him. He happened to have some reduced loads with him and I found I was able to shoot those just fine, and what’s more, after shooting them I was able to shoot the full house loads correctly too. I just needed to catch that groove, and I’m not too proud to admit that I was messing up.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 628
    • Overall: 760

Does this pistol have adjustable sights? If so, the rear sight could have gotten pushed down against the slide and is stuck there. I had that happen with a revolver that I placed in the gunsafe upside down.

One last thing before sending it back would be to have someone else try shooting it.

Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 152
    • Overall: 171

Deleted.

doc1876 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Butch, I hear what you are saying, but my research (which is quite extensive) leads me to believe that I need jhp.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://amp.dailycaller.com/2014/02/25/massad-ayoob-is-hollowpoint-the-best-defensive-ammo-for-concealed-carry/&ved=0ahUKEwjruPPCp5nYAhVCxoMKHSl_AOoQFghBMAQ&usg=AOvVaw1QtstpGj0emOGKIjSzUfJx&ampcf=1

<p style=”text-align: left;”></p>

doc1876 
    Participant
    • Bronze

I hope that this is not a double post. I’m not sure that I got it up.

I have come to the conclusion that it might be a problem with the shooter, and not the gun.  I did notice that the eyes were seeing a bit more fuzzy also 

doc1876 
    Participant
    • Bronze

FYI the loads that I am making are 230g jhp with 6.5 g of CFE pistol powder.  Supposed to be scooting along at 920 fps with around 17200 cup.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us